Monday, May 14, 2012

reading

L1000374-2 by Susan NYC
L1000374-2, a photo by Susan NYC on Flickr.
Taken May 2008, my father "hiding" behind a magazine...when my parents were young, I remember the arguments between my mother and father because my father was "always hiding behind a newspaper or book" - so said my mother...

It's true.

By the time my father was in nursing homes, his dementia prevented him from reading.  He could write until nearly the end, but he couldn't comprehend more than a few words at a time.

Still, I would bring the NY Times each visit, and he'd sit and read it just as though he was really reading it.  If I didn't have a current Times, I'd bring an old one, and that was fine with him.

I usually offered a few sections of the NY Times to other residents if they were close by.  A few happily took a section and "read" just as my father did.

The staff never gave the residents magazines or newspapers.  If I left them for my father, they were untouched, out of his reach.

No comments: