Monday, December 3, 2007

My father's first room at the Hebrew Home


L1051013.jpg
Originally uploaded by Susan NYC
The light is great in my father's room. But the curtains are always closed when I go in. I pull them back. . He has windows facing south, too, perpendicular to this wall. Those curtains, too, are always closed. (They're broken, so my father couldn't open them - he doesn't have the balance to reach up and pull them back.)

And the aides don't put the blue quilt on the bed - it's lightweight and washable, just so he'll have something cozy - so that's another thing I do when I arrive: take the quilt out of the closet and put it on his bed.

I guess they always sleep in the white sheets I see when I go into the room. The rooms are warm, though.

In the summer the rooms are usually warm, but when the air conditioning broke, the rooms were unbelievably hot. I just happened to visit the day after the master air conditioning system broke and went out immediately to buy a big box fan.

The air conditioning was broken for several days. They never informed families, so they could bring fans.

A note: my father's bruises are almost healed. But now he has a sore on his lip. I wonder how often he gets to wash his hands.

No comments: